Wednesday, September 22, 2010

My Yoga Quest into Teacher Training

On my way to being a teacher? Wow, this is going to be a big obstacle for me! On our first day of yoga we were asked to get up in front of the class and talk about ourselves, why we loved yoga, what obstacle we hope to overcome...I figured this little presentation would come easy to me seeing as I have a history of customer service jobs therefor I am always conversing with people. As it approached my turn to make my way in front of the mirror to present to the half circle of 12 or so students sitting in our super nifty posture chairs (which I am so buying-they are wonderful!) my heart started to race and I literally thought it was going to leap out of my chest. 'Kristin, are you ready?' 'Oh, no way,' I thought to myself. As I faced everyone I said my name which I'm surprised I didn't forget seeing as I was shaking like a tiny Chiuaua, why I loved yoga, which I think I said the word balance numerous times, and then my obstacle, which I remembered and said that it was commitment. I am infamously known for this lovely trait and have a hard time fully committing to something. If things start to get a little hard, or demand too much from me then I usually opt for the easy way out and run away from it because sometimes it's easier to dream of something else and not give my whole heart to one thing. Now this isn't to be confused with things that I actually need to separate myself away from or things that I know pretty quickly just aren't for me, because situations arise like that also that I know in order to keep my focus and way of life I need to remove myself from the situation. But for me, this yoga teacher training is a HUGE commitment. One that I am very excited and a little scared of. I may talk to people all day but to actually TEACH, to actually have students come to my class because they enjoy what I have to offer, because they want to share the energy I put off and they want to learn from ME, this is a big, scary, amazing, aspiring role I want to become. We are all here on this earth to teach one another something. To share what we know. I know I am here to share happy, healthy energy with the people around me and yoga is essential in every one's lives who aspire to know their true selves, their higher being, their center. This whole thing kind of fell into my lap and I am going with it. I remember always admiring yoga teachers and admiring yoga and all it's meaning and always told myself that I wanted to get into this world, this happy, meaningful world, but for some reason didn't think it possible. My friend gave me a free weeks pass and I went every day that week, sometimes even 2x in one day because I loved how it made me feel so much. Yoga is my time, shared with others who are all there for different reasons. I am there because my practice is my happy place, it is my place where I can look myself into the eyes in the mirror deeply and know that I love who I am looking at and looking through (because sometimes it gets that intense) and I love this life that is given to me and this crazy outside world is but a place where I am an inhabitant of, but my life, it's mine...to do whatever I want with, to share with everyone, to open my heart, and to show compassion whenever and wherever I go. Yoga keeps me grounded to the earth and all it's beautiful perplexity. This is just the beginning of a very memorable journey and without a doubt KNOW that my life is going to change within these next 9 weeks, so I say to you change with an open heart and an open mind, 'Welcome' :)

3 comments:

  1. Wow...that was wonderful read! You are an exceptional being, Kristin...you bring smiles to others and I think lighten their hearts for a time...what a wonderful thing! I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm finishing my Masters and I teach classes at SLU as part of the program. You think the motivation part will be hard and then that first day you meet a group of funny, talented students and they become your motivation. You look forward to spending your time and sharing your experiences with them. Its kinda awesome. Good luck on your journey, I'm sure you won't regret a second of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom- I love you so much! Thank you for always supporting me in my life decisions and thank you for your LOVE :)

    Eric- Congratulations to you and your wonderful journey! Teaching truely is a beautiful thing. Good luck with your quest as well love!

    ReplyDelete